This is a very belated post (made these apple roses about 4 months ago, when apples were all the rage), but since Valentine’s day is reminiscent of roses, what better time to (finally) post up the recipe than now?
To make these apple roses, I followed the recipe from Catalina Kolker pretty much to a T, but here it is reproduced with pictures from yours truly 😉
1 puff pastry sheet
5 TBSP sugar or splenda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
4 cups water
3 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP lemon juice
1. Wash the apples, cut in half, core, then slice in very thin slices, slightly smaller than 1/8 inch.
3. Have a colander and a bowl close and when the time is up, fish the apple slices with a slotted spoon and let them cool, then dry in the colander. Optional: Arrange the apple slices on paper towels to cool down completely and also dry up a bit.
If you are working with people and want to have fun, you can also make a sliced apple ‘cake’ haha:
4. Prepare your work surface by lightly sprinkling it with some flour or just use a silicone mat and lay the puff pastry sheet down. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and evenly spread it over the pastry sheet; press down to secure.
With a pastry cutter or knife, carefully cut long strips, approximately 1/2 inch wide, from the puff pastry.
5. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
6. By now, your apples should be cool and almost dry. Take a few slices and place them on the strips, overlapping them so they do not fall out and also make the rose-like design (petals) of the finish product.
Start rolling up the apples within the strips, making sure it is fairly tightly rolled. It should look like this in the end:
Enjoy ! 🙂